April 28, 1830

The Season. The weather thus far during the present month has been unusually warm, seeming more like July weather than April. Vegetation has already come forward with unusual rapidity. We were presented on Thursday last with a tuft of grass, the growth of this Season, from the garden of Alvan Edmunds Esq. of this town which was, over 13 inches in height. We will venture to predict a good season for the farmers.

May 3, 1850

Cruelty in the merchant marine.—We notice every week more or less instances of extreme cruelty practiced by officers in the merchant service towards those under them. Most of these instances where excessive punishment is administered, are gross violations of the law, and disgraceful to the general excellent standing and character of the officers in the merchant marine.

April 28, 1870

Trunk Manufactory. Messrs. W. P. Burrill & Co., late of Searsport, have moved their well known trunk manufactory to this city, and occupy rooms on High street, opposite Phenix Row. We have been surprised in examining their stock to see the excellence of the goods which they manufacture—strong, substantial, and in the higher class beautifully ornamented. We never imagined that such were gotten up outside the large city manufactories. They make a class of zine covered trunks, to repel dampness, for sea-faring men; also every description of travelling bag, valise, &c. The Messrs. Burrill have removed to this city for the benefit of the railroad facilities in their business. They offer their goods at wholesale and retail, and we advise those contemplating purchasing to give them a call.

May 5, 1890

Arbor Day. There is a movement on foot to celebrate arbor day in this city. The schools will plant trees and it is proposed to have exercises in the Opera House.

The English sparrows are a great annoyance to Mr. Frank Whitmore, the peculiar finish of his house proving very attractive to the birds, who build their nests under the eaves. Not only is the chattering of the birds annoying, but they deface the paint. Monday Mr. Whitmore destroyed a large number of nests and broke up many families of the birds.

April 28, 1910

The waiting rooms at the railway station have been greatly improved. The walls and ceiling are sheathed with southern pine and radiators have taken the place of the old coal stoves.

In a walk along the shore the other day E. M. Sanborn noticed with regret that the earth had been washed away from the big willow tree which gave the name of The Willows to one of the early cottages, so that it had fallen over. I. W. Parker is, we believe, the only survivor of those who built “The Willows” and who spent many happy hours there. Those who have passed away are Frank Patterson, H. J. Locke and George W. Burgess. The cottage was burned a few years ago and now the tree which gave it its name has gone.

Compiled from archival holdings by Sharon Pietryka, reference & special collections librarian at the Belfast Free Library.

filed under: