July 27, 1831

Mrs. Mary wife of Mr. James Beal, was killed instantly by lightning during a thunder storm in Freeport, on the 16th inst. She was sitting at the window with her child, about five weeks old, in her arms, which was but slightly injured. 

July 25, 1851

On Friday evening of last week, a large party from this place, all under the care of Capt Deering, and upon the steamer Lawrence, visited Castine. The occasion was a pleasant one. The Belfast Brass Band was on board, and discoursed good music. At Biguyduce, they seemed glad to see us, and Mr. Hooper did well for the entertainment and comfort of his guests, considering how impromptu their visit was. On leaving the wharf, some public-spirited individuals sent up a balloon, which made a fine appearance. We would say here, that the Lawrence runs now regularly to Mt. Desert, one of the coolest and pleasantest summer resorts that we know of. Trout abound there, and on Tuesday we delectated upon a fresh dozen, a donation from the officers of that steamer. 

July 23, 1891

Swan & Sibley company last week received a cargo of salt from Boston. It was American salt and was manufactured in New York. Mr. Swan said it was of a superior quality and the first cargo of American salt ever brought to Belfast. A small portion of the cargo was mineral salt. 

July 27, 1911

E. Jewett of Norridgewock is installing the big broiler and other machinery for the new corn canning plant, which is rapidly nearing completion.

Where is Ward Hicks? Ward Hicks is wanted again. For the third time he has deserted his comfortable quarters in the Belfast jail and at this writing his whereabouts are unknown. Under two sheriffs he has been treated as a trusty, and both have been the victims of misplaced confidence. He was sent to jail first for stealing a cow in Searsport, and was so meek and docile that Sheriff Carleton allowed him to work about the place, and one afternoon he took to the woods. He was not heard from until September, when a man was arrested in a town north of Bangor for stealing a cow and committed to the Bangor jail. This proved to be Hicks. He was brought back to Belfast tried, convicted and sentenced to a year in jail. Then Sheriff Jenkins came in and he was so impressed with the apparent trustworthy ways of his prisoner that he gave him the job of taking care of the stable. In April Hicks made another break for liberty and was finally captured in Jonesboro, where he has relatives, and brought back. His third escape was made last week. He had been complaining for some time of ill-health and Sheriff Jenkins, taking pity on him, had given him for day quarters the poor debtor’s room, which is larger and more airy than the others, and at night he was locked in one of the regular cells. At 6 p. m., July 19th, when the turnkey went to escort Mr. Hicks to his sleeping room he found the poor debtor’s room tenantless and a broken bar in the window. About 12 years ago a prisoner had filed this bar off and escaped. It had been repaired by placing iron straps on each side and bolting them together with 12 bolts. Hicks had in some way removed these bolts, evidently one at a time, and made heads and nuts of putty. It was an easy drop from the window to the ground. A prisoner said that he had seen Hicks at 2 o’clock that day, but no one reports having seen him since. It is rumored that he made his departure from Belfast in a launch, and if this proves to be the case the owner of the launch is liable to be called to account. 

Compiled from archival holdings by Sharon Pietryka, Reference & Special Collections Librarian at the Belfast Free Library.

filed under: