Oct. 13, 1831

An Apple.—The product of Capt. McFarland’s orchard of this village was exhibited in our office on Monday last, measuring 12 7-8 inches in circumference and weighing 12 ounces. It was a greening and the tree was taken from an engrafted nursery of P. Ashman Esq of Brooks.

Oct. 17, 1851

Belfast Lyceum.—We would call the attention of our townsmen to the details of the lyceum arrangements for the ensuing year. There are now subscribed $270. The fund necessary to carry out what has been contemplated from the beginning by the directors is $350. That sum can easily be raised if those who should be interested will take hold of the matter. We hope this will be done without the directors’ being forced to use much time and shoe-leather in running round to procure subscriptions. The $350 will give us some twenty lectures from some of the best minds in the country, at an average cost of some five cents per lecture for each individual. If we cannot do this, we may as well give up all claims to literature and intellectuality at once, and take to a sort of torpid winter life. 

Oct. 19, 1871

The growth of Belfast is southwardly, and the tendency is to extend Congress and Court streets parallel with the shore of the bay. But when streets shall be laid out across the land between the Northport road and the water, from McGilvery’s shipyard toward Little River, some elegant lots for dwellings will be obtained, running to the shore, with splendid views and summer coolness. It may be made the most attractive part of the city. And in that vicinity land should be secured for a city park. 

Oct. 13, 1881

The oldest house in Belfast, the one on Miller street below the Methodist church, is tenantless. The house was built in 1792 and is so decayed as to be uninhabitable. 

One of the best places in this vicinity to hunt for game is in the woods back of the stock farm in ward five. You can hunt all day and the chances are you won’t see anything. Five men and a dog one day last week scoured the woods and succeeded in killing three partridges. Judge J. fixed his legal eye on a retreating rabbit, and sent a charge of shot after him, but the animal made good his escape. There is but little game near the city and that little is hounded by an army of boys and dogs. 

Oct. 17, 1901

The curfew bell will ring at 9 o’clock until October 31st, after which the time will be 8 o’clock until May 1st. 

The repairs and improvements to the audience room of the Methodist church are nearly complete. A new steel ceiling, painted in an attractive pattern and in harmonious colors has been put in. The platform has been enlarged and the pulpit steps widened. The base boards and middle supports are cut off at the bottom, thus permitting the carpet to be put under whole. Twelve pews have been taken out to make room for the enlargement of the platform and for an aisle at the rear. The pews have been oiled and the walls tinted. The ladies are now sewing the new carpet.  

Compiled from archival holdings by Sharon Pietryka, Reference & Special Collections Librarian at the Belfast Free Library.