BELFAST — Belfast Area High School was in lockdown for a period of time on the morning of Nov. 15 after Waldo County Dispatch received a call that there was an active shooter at the school, according to Belfast Police Chief Robert Cormier.

Dispatchers received a call Tuesday morning from a person with a male, Middle-Eastern voice, claiming there was a white man dressed in black clothing with a rifle in the school, Cormier said. The caller reported five victims near a classroom. It was similar to calls other schools received across the state.

Only one call claimed there was a shooter inside the school and the person reported it in past tense, as though it had already happened, the police chief said. Usually when there is an active shooter in a school, dispatch gets inundated with calls and the reports tend to be in present tense, with the caller reporting the event as it unfolds, he explained.

At 9:15 a.m. the school went into lockdown for 15 minutes until the building was cleared and secured by the administration and Belfast Police officers, Superintendent Mary Alice McLean said in an email to The Republican Journal. Officers responded in less than a minute.

She said students and staff responded well and will be debriefed about the situation in the next few days. All district schools remained in lockout status for the rest of the day. Parents picked up some students from school.

Nobody was injured, Cormier said. There was no evidence of an active shooter in the school. Classes will continue for the day and police officers will remain present at the school as a precaution.

The caller’s voice and description of events were similar to calls other county dispatchers received for other schools across the state that morning, Cormier said.

As of early afternoon, Mount View High School had not reported any threat or received any call regarding an active shooter, according to a press release issued by Regional School Unit 3 Superintendent Charles Brown. The district is working with the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office and will respond if the district receives any of those calls, he said.

As of 1 p.m., there were no false active shooter calls to Regional School Unit 20 (Searsport District schools), according to Administrative Assistant Jayne Bowler.

On Tuesday morning, the Knox County Regional Communication Center received a hoax call saying there was an active shooter at Oceanside High School in Rockland.

The Maine Department of Public Safety issued a statement Tuesday morning prior to the Oceanside call, saying:

“The Department of Public Safety is aware of multiple active shooter threats that have been made at schools throughout the state. Maine State Police have been assisting local law enforcement agencies with these initial investigations.

“At this time these reports are believed to be a hoax. The Maine Information Analysis Center (MIAC) is heavily involved in coordinating these investigations.”