BAHS booters punish Panthers, 2-0

High school soccer
By Tim Collins Downer | Oct 13, 2005

Belfast — The Belfast Area High School girls soccer team won its ninth game of the season Wednesday, Oct. 12, blanking the Medomak Valley Panthers 2-0.

It was the last regular-season home game for the BAHS seniors.

The Lions' tight passing game allowed them to seize control early. The team took the lead about 15 minutes in, when Clare Loxterkamp sent a 35-yard screamer into the back of the net.

About midway through the first half, the contest turned into a game of "long-ball," and BAHS seemed to lose its rhythm. "We weren't winning the 50-50 balls and we kept booting the ball over our midfield," said Belfast coach Dwight Pitcairn. "At half time, I told the girls that we need to regain possession of the ball, make simple passes and to be patient."

The Lions' overall play improved after the break. Sophie Scott eventually broke through, scoring a second-half goal, assisted by Angela Brandt to provide the two-goal cushion. The blue-and-gold's defense held strong and recorded the shutout, despite good pressure throughout the second half by Medomak Valley.

BAHS outshot the Panthers 19-9. Kat Kelley made seven saves in goal for the Lions, while Alison Cornforth stopped 13 for Medomak Valley.

"It was 'Senior Night,' and I'm sure it was a little emotional for them as it's the last home game for them," said Pitcairn. "We worked hard and I'm very pleased with the result. Medomak is a good team, and we played two tough games against them this season. I am very happy with the attitudes and work rate of all my players."

Rockland 2, Belfast 1

The Belfast Area High School girls soccer team outshot Rockland 32-4, but the Tigers came out on top on the scoreboard, upsetting the Lions 2-1 in an Eastern Maine Class B matchup Thursday, Oct. 13.

Rockland frosh Ballie Boggs scored on a breakaway 18 minutes into the game to give the Tigers the lead. Belfast's Sophie Scott scored with 12 minutes remaining in the half, but Boggs struck again on a breakaway two minutes later to give the Tigers a 2-1 lead.

Despite maintaining possession for most of the second half and firing numerous shots toward the Rockland goal, the Lions did not score again. During the course of the contest, Belfast hit the post once, the crossbar twice, and missed chances to score on two open nets.

"The girls played a great game, and even with four minutes left I still thought we were going to win the game," said BAHS coach Dwight Pitcairn. "The soccer gods were against us tonight."

As they've done many times this season, Belfast dominated the corner kick situation, with 15 opportunities during the game. Goalie Kat Kelley had two saves for the Lions, while Pinky Curtin had 14 stops for RDHS.

Rockland entered the game with two wins. The 9-4-1 Lions had defeated the Tigers 5-1 in the previous matchup.

Pitcairn said the Lions did not walk into the game expecting a win. "We've always taken every opponent seriously. Nothing is sure until the final whistle," he said. "What hurts is that we dominated and got nothing for it."

Belfast finished the regular season in sixth place, and will take on third seeded John Bapst in a quarterfinal game Friday, Oct. 21, in Bangor.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.