Alleged persistence lands man in jail, then hospital

By Tanya Mitchell | Jul 03, 2012
Courtesy of: Belfast Police Department Derek R. Greeley

Belfast — A Searsmont man was arrested after he was allegedly involved in altercations at a Belfast establishment Saturday night, June 29, leading to his trip to the Waldo County Jail, and then to a Bangor hospital to be treated for broken bones.

Derek R. Greeley, 29, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, assault and refusing to submit to arrest or detention after police responded to a report of a fight between two males at the Front Street Pub at about 10:25 p.m.

Belfast Detective Sgt. Bryan Cunningham said police found Greeley and another male fighting when they arrived and after separating the men, Cunningham said, the officers spoke to each of them in an attempt to diffuse the problem.

"Mr. Greeley didn't think he was done yet," said Cunningham. "He was making gestures, and he was warned for disorderly [conduct]."

Greeley walked away as if he were about to leave the scene, but minutes later, Cunningham said, the officers spotted Greeley walking by the cruiser and back toward the male with whom he was previously fighting.

"There were two people chasing him, trying to tell him no," said Cunningham. "They tried to stop him, and the officer got in between the two of them so they couldn't fight anymore."

When the officers informed Greeley he was under arrest, Cunningham said, Greeley continued to resist and pulled away from the officers several times. Eventually, the officers were able to get Greeley in the cruiser and transport him to the Waldo County Jail.

After arriving at the jail, Cunningham said, Greeley noticed an unusual occurrence after he blew his nose.

"He blew his nose at the jail and his eye buttoned shut," said Cunningham.

Police then arranged for Greeley to go to Waldo County General Hospital, where Greeley learned he had a broken bone in his eye socket. From there, Greeley was transported via ambulance to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

Greeley reportedly claimed the injury was the result of a separate altercation that he was involved in earlier that same evening.

Cunningham said the incident remains under investigation.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.