Belfast man in critical condition after Route 1 crash

Collision blamed on poor weather, snow-covered road
By Tanya Mitchell | Feb 18, 2013
Source: File image

Searsport — Police say a Belfast man suffered a head injury and broken bones as the result of a two-car collision on Route 1 that occurred early Sunday morning, Feb. 17, and as of Monday, Feb. 18, the man remained in critical condition.

Searsport Police Chief Dick LaHaye said emergency responders used the Jaws of Life to extricate 36-year-old Joseph Wyman from the 2011 Ford pickup truck in which he was a passenger at the time the crash occurred.

LaHaye said Searsport ambulance attendants took Wyman to Waldo County General Hospital to be treated for a head injury, a broken pelvis, broken ribs, a broken ankle and various abrasions he sustained in the accident. LaHaye said Wyman was later transferred to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he was scheduled to undergo surgery Monday afternoon.

LaHaye said the driver of the Ford, 25-year-old Stephenie Mehuren of Belfast, was transported to the Belfast hospital via the Belfast Ambulance Service, where she was treated and released the same day.

The driver of the second vehicle involved, 48-year-old Daniel Black of Belfast, was taken by Searsport ambulance to Waldo County General Hospital, LaHaye said, where he was treated for abrasions and contusions and released.

LaHaye said the accident was reported just after 5 a.m. and occurred east of the entrance to Moose Point State Park on Route 1. Black was headed toward Searsport from Belfast and Mehuren was traveling in the opposite direction when Black noticed the approaching pickup truck was skidding out of control.

"It was fishtailing and swerving," said LaHaye.

LaHaye said Black saw the truck sliding toward him in a sideways position, and both drivers tried to steer away from each other in unsuccessful attempts to avoid the collision.

LaHaye said the entire front end of the Ford pickup, including the cab, was "completely demolished."

Both vehicles were engaged in four-wheel drive when the crash occurred, LaHaye said, and both drivers reported traveling at 40 mph or less at the time of the accident.

Maine State Police are expected to assist with the examination of both vehicles to see if there were any mechanical problems that may have contributed to the crash.

LaHaye said the road was slippery and snow-covered at the time of the collision and high winds from a weekend storm were causing snow to drift across parts of the roadway.

"Weather conditions definitely played a part in the accident," LaHaye said.

The crash remains under investigation.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.