Belfast man injured trying to extinguish grease fire

By Ben Holbrook | Feb 28, 2014

Belfast — A Belfast man suffered burns to his hands, arms and face after trying to extinguish a grease fire in his home the evening of Wednesday, Feb. 26.

Belfast Fire Chief Jim Richards said the fire was reported at 5:27 p.m. at a home on East Waldo Road. The homeowner, William Daggett, had attempted to carry a frying pan outside to dispose of the burning grease when it splashed onto his hands, arms and face.

Daggett was taken by ambulance to Waldo County General Hospital to be treated for his injuries. Richards said he believed Daggett was released later that night after receiving treatment.

Richards said 19 firefighters responded to the home and had the fire extinguished in about 15 minutes. Crews from Morrill and Waldo were also requested in case the fire spread, but their response was canceled after Richards determined the fire was under control.

The kitchen area of the home sustained significant smoke and heat damage and Richards said the home would not be habitable. He did not know if Daggett had insurance on the home.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.