Blaze destroys vehicle; homeowner saves garage

By Fran Gonzalez | Aug 29, 2019
Photo by: Sharon Hibbard Sparks from a welding torch caught a pickup truck on fire Aug. 28 in Montville. The homeowner was able to attach a line and drag the burning vehicle with another truck, away from a nearby garage.

Montville — Quick actions of a homeowner prevented a vehicle fire from spreading to a garage Wednesday afternoon.

A call came in at approximately 3 p.m. alerting crews to a possible structure fire on Burnham Hill Road.

When Fire Chief John York arrived, he said he discovered a pickup fully engulfed in flames in front of a large two-story garage.

The homeowner was working on the pickup truck and didn't realize a fire had started inside the vehicle, York said.

The chief said sparks from a welding torch caught something in the truck on fire, burning the vehicle quickly.

York said the homeowner hooked another pickup truck to the burning vehicle, which was partially on jack stands, and dragged it away from the front of the garage.

Later in the day, the garage showed no signs of damage. No injuries were reported, but, according to York, a few trees surrounding the vehicle were scorched.

Witnesses say the fire was extinguished quickly once fire trucks arrived at the scene.

Initially Freedom, Searsmont, Liberty Fire and Ambulance crews were called, but York told all departments to stand down except Montville and Liberty.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.