Burnham man charged in UMaine dorm fire

Mar 19, 2020

Orono — The State Fire Marshal's Office has charged a University of Maine student after a fire at one of the campus dormitories late Tuesday night.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said in a press release late this afternoon that 19-year-old David Szucs is charged with criminal mischief and reckless conduct. Szucs lives off-campus in Burnham, he said.

Fire investigators say Szucs placed a battery pack inside a microwave oven in a common room at Knox Hall. The fire that resulted destroyed the microwave and caused heavy smoke in the building.

About 20 students were in the building at the time, McCausland reported. No one was injured as the building's alarm system was activated. The fire took place about 11:30 p.m. March 17.

 

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.