Car fire disrupts pre-Fourth grocery run

No injuries reported
By Fran Gonzalez | Jul 03, 2018
Photo by: Jordan Mitchell Belfast firefighters spray foam on the engine of Michelle Draeger's 2017 Honda Pilot near Hannaford the morning of July 3.

Belfast — A routine trip to the grocery store with her pet became a nightmare for a summer resident Tuesday morning.

Michelle Draeger of Falmouth was on her way to Hannaford around 9 a.m. July 3 when she pulled up to the stoplight at the intersection of Route 1 and Lincolnville Avenue and noticed smoke coming from the hood of her 2017 Honda Pilot.

A good Samaritan drove up next to her and said, "Your car is on fire!"

Draeger said she had not noticed any warning lights on her dashboard, but when the hood was opened, "flames were visible," and the engine eventually became "pretty engulfed."

Belfast Fire Department took about 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze and sprayed flame-dampening foam on the engine.

Draeger's dog was visibly shaking from all of the excitement but appeared to have no  injuries.

The Honda Pilot sustained extensive heat damage to the engine plastics, hoses and wires.

Belfast Police were also at the scene and traffic was affected for only a short time.

Plastic parts and hoses in the engine melted with the extreme heat of a car fire July 3 in Belfast. (Photo by: Fran Gonzalez)
Traffic moves slowly past the accident scene while firefighters and emergency responders work to clean up the area July 3. (Photo by: Fran Gonzalez)
Comments (1)
Posted by: from the kitchen | Jul 04, 2018 05:30

Why would anyone take a pet to be left in a car on a day that hot? The fire could have easily saved the dog's life.



If you wish to comment, please login.