To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Coronavirus rises to 616 confirmed cases, two more deaths

By Rob Wolfe, Portland Press Herald Staff Writer | Apr 11, 2020

Two more people have died and 30 more were confirmed infected with the novel coronavirus on Saturday morning, for a total of 616 known cases and 19 deaths, the Maine Center for Disease Control said.

CDC spokesman Robert Long said the deceased were a man in his 80s from York County and a man in his 70s from Cumberland County. On Twitter, CDC Director Nirav Shah said the losses were a “somber note” to the weekend’s update.

Maine CDC officials warn, however, that cases probably are being undercounted because of a lack of testing supplies. The public health agency this week was counting on a shipment of new tests from Abbott Laboratories, which is manufacturing 50,000 a day in Scarborough, but ended up receiving far fewer than expected.

On Friday Maine also saw a drop in active cases – that is, total cases minus deaths and recoveries – falling to 323 from 342. That number was back to 341 on Saturday.

But Shah has noted that epidemiologists look at periods much longer than a day to track the progress of outbreaks, and on Friday he said there weren’t any conclusions to be drawn from the drop.

“We can hope that these signs suggest we are in the process of flattening the curve,” Shah said, referring to a term for slowing the virus’s spread so that hospitals aren’t overwhelmed.

“But we don’t know. It is too early to tell.”

Speaking at a briefing with the CDC on Friday, Gov. Janet Mills said it was too early to lift social distancing restrictions. The same day, Mills announced that she was moving primary elections to July 14 from June 9, and was also considering an executive order to curb evictions during the pandemic.

On Saturday, Amtrak’s Downeaster rail line, which links Brunswick to Boston, announced it would temporarily suspend all service because of the coronavirus. The move came after an announcement last week that service would be limited to one trip per day.

COVID-19 continued to spread through Maine’s senior communities this week.

In Belfast, Tall Pines Retirement and Healthcare Community reported 22 cases on Friday, up from 13 on Thursday. The Maine CDC said it had tested all employees and residents and is conducting an investigation into the facility, which has 400 residents and 200 staff.

On Friday evening, OceanView at Falmouth reported its 11th case, and urged community members to take precautions such as wearing a mask, “stringent hand washing” and staying at home as much as possible.

“Per the CDC, due to community transmission it is no longer possible to definitively determine the source of exposure,” a statement from OceanView spokeswoman Linda Varrell said. “We continue to follow CDC guidance and urge individuals to take the proper precautions to minimize their risk of exposure and prevent further spread.”

In Saturday’s CDC statistics, 114 people had been hospitalized and 256 had recovered, cumulatively, over the course of the outbreak.

Cumberland and York Counties are still far and away the leaders in cases, with evidence of community transmission. Cumberland had 284 confirmed cases on Saturday, and York had 143.

The virus has reached every county but Piscataquis, the least populous, but public health officials urge everyone in Maine to follow social distancing measures, wash their hands, and only go outside for essential activities such as work, groceries, dog-walking and physical exercise.

Among the other counties, there were 27 cases in Androscoggin, two in Aroostook, seven in Franklin, four in Hancock, 31 in Kennebec, 10 in Knox, nine in Lincoln, 13 in Oxford, 34 in Penobscot, 15 in Sagadahoc, six in Somerset, 27 in Waldo and one in Washington.

By age, only 2.4% of patients were under 20 years old, while 8.6% were in their 20s, 10.4% in their 30s, 15.6% in their 40s, 20.6% in their 50s, 18.3% in their 60s, 14.3% in their 70s, and 9.7% 80 and older.

Infection was still roughly equal by sex, with the CDC identifying 51% of patients as female.

Maine’s capacity to treat aggressive cases remained steady on Saturday. According to the CDC, the state had 306 total intensive care unit beds, and 154 were available; of 332 total ventilators (a slight increase in recent weeks), 271 were available.

Twenty-one of those ICU beds are occupied by COVID-19 patients. Another 37 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized but not in the ICU.

Maine now also has 232 alternative ventilators approved by the Food and Drug Administration. The CDC does not release numbers of total versus available units of this type.

 

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at waldo.villagesoup.com/join.
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at waldo.villagesoup.com/donate.
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.