Electrical fire at Searsmont residence quickly extinguished

By Ben Holbrook | Jul 12, 2012
Photo by: Ben Holbrook Firefighters quickly extinguished an electrical fire at a Searsmont residence that started in the walls of a breezeway.

Searsmont — Firefighters quickly put out an electrical fire that started in the walls of a Searsmont residence Wednesday, July 11.

Searsmont Fire Department Third Lt. Tracy Harford said the fire started in the walls of a breezeway next to a door leading into the home, which is located at 106 South Main St. The first truck to arrive on scene quickly extinguished the fire before he arrived with the second truck, Harford said.

"Another couple of minutes and it could have been a lot worse," Harford said.

Crews from Montville, Morrill, Appleton and Belmont also responded to the fire.

"This was a very good job done by all of the departments," Harford said.

Justin Dube, 18, who was at the residence when the fire started, said he could smell wood burning for a couple of hours before the fire started. However, he said the smell would come and go and he was unable to locate a source.

Shortly before 4 p.m., Dube was watching television and saw smoke coming in through the windows.

"I started throwing water on it, but you couldn't really see what was happening, because most of it was inside the walls," he said.

The residence is owned by Basil and Arlinda Pearse. Basil is a firefighter with the Searsmont Fire Department.

Harford said most of the damage caused by the fire is located around the door to the breezeway.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.