To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Fire damages Bucksport apartment

By Jennifer Osborn, reporter, Ellsworth American | Jan 05, 2021

Bucksport — An unattended meal cooking on a stove caught fire and rendered a second-floor Broadway apartment uninhabitable Monday night, Jan. 4, Bucksport Deputy Fire Chief Michael Denning reported.

No one was injured. Some two dozen firefighters who responded, including crews from Bucksport, Orland and Orrington, prevented the blaze from spreading into neighboring dwellings at the Bucksport Square Apartments.

Denning said the resident had left the apartment to visit a neighbor and forgot the stovetop was on.

“It was going pretty good when we got there,” Denning said. “A lot of the kitchen area was pretty burned up.” There was smoke damage to the rest of the apartment.

No other apartments were damaged.

The renter went to stay in a motel, the deputy chief said. “I believe Red Cross was advised as well.”

The fire was called in at 7:45 p.m. and crews were on scene for about two hours.

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at waldo.villagesoup.com/join.
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at waldo.villagesoup.com/donate.
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.
Note: If you signed up using our new subscriber portal, your username is the email address you registered with and your password is in all caps