To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Firefighter dies after exposure to COVID-19

Tall Pines has no new cases
By Fran Gonzalez | Apr 30, 2020
Source: Maine CDC From left, Commissioner Laura Fortman of the Department of Labor, Dr. Nirav Shah of Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention and sign language interpreter Josh Seal at the April 30 daily media briefing.

Belfast — At the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention daily briefing Thursday, April 30, Dr. Nirav Shah was asked about a Waldo County firefighter who recently died from COVID-19 and the potential contact he might have had with several other fire departments at a fire scene April 28.

"We are aware of that situation and an investigation is underway," Shah said. "Because of personal privacy involved, I can't comment on it any further, partially because of privacy reasons and because our investigation is underway. Our team of epidemiologists and disease detectives have started the process of looking into it."

Reached by phone, Jackson Fire Chief Don Knickerson Sr. confirmed that Lt. Harold "Eddie" Moore II, a volunteer firefighter, had died, saying more information would be forthcoming soon in a press release.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration website, "On Tuesday afternoon, April 28, 2020, Lieutenant Harold “Eddie” Moore II responded to a fire at a residence. Later in the evening, after arriving home, Lieutenant Moore suffered a cardiac arrest and passed away."

Earlier in the briefing, Shah said a total of 43 individuals, including 11 staff and 32 residents, had tested positive for the coronavirus at Tall Pines, with no new cases since Tuesday.

A female in her 50s from Cumberland county died from the virus, the single new death in the state since yesterday.

Overall 1,095 people have tested positive for COVID-19, up 39 from yesterday. Among health care workers, Shah said, there are 255 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Shah said there were two new recent outbreaks, one at the Hope House Health and Living Center and transitional housing in Bangor, which reported 21 individuals testing positive for the virus. Another outbreak was recorded at Tyson Foods in Portland, where 10 individuals have tested positive for the virus, up two from yesterday.

Shah referred to the two new outbreaks as "concerning."

All told, 631 individuals have recovered in the state since the start of the pandemic.

A GoFundMe site to benefit Moore's wife says his wife worked at Tall Pines as a Certified Nurse's Assistant, contracted the disease at the facility and was quarantined at home. Moore ended up catching the virus as well.

For more information or to make a donation, visit

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.
Note: If you signed up using our new subscriber portal, your username is the email address you registered with and your password is in all caps