To our readers,

The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century type story, ... Click here to continue

Knox County cases remain unchanged

Five more Mainers die from COVID-19

Deadliest day thus far in Maine since outbreak began
By Stephen Betts | Apr 23, 2020
Maine CDC Director Dr. Nirav Shah

Five more Mainers died during the past day from COVID-19.

The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported April 23 the five additional deaths were in Cumberland County which has been the hardest hit area in the state. There have been 44 deaths overall from the new virus since the first death occurred March 27.

The number of active cases declined to 408 due to the five deaths. There were 30 additional confirmed cases since Wednesday, bringing the number to 937 since the outbreak began last month. That was offset by 30 more people being listed as recovered from COVID-19 since Wednesday.

The peak in confirmed active cases occurred April 17 when there were 446 cases.

The active confirmed Knox County cases remains at five with 13 cases overall and eight recoveries.

The active number of case in Waldo County is 20 with 10 total deaths in the past few weeks. The deaths in Waldo County have been concentrated at the Tall Pines long term care center in Belfast. There have been 47 cases overall as well as 17 recoveries.

Lincoln County's active confirmed cases dropped to three with 12 cases since the beginning and nine recoveries.

The number of people hospitalized statewide with COVID-19 was at 42 as of April 23. 18 are in critical care units and 11 of those people are on respirators.

The CDC director said April 22 that 16,784 people tested negative for the new virus.

Also as of April 22, 127 residents and 67 staff members at long-term care or assisted living facilities tested positive for COVID-19.

But Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Nirav Shah stressed at the April 20 media briefing that precautions need to continue.

"We must continue physical distancing. We are still very much in the middle of things," Shah said.

He said across the world, there have been new spikes when restrictions are eased.

"The concern is that easing restrictions could result in a secondary bump," the CDC director said.

He said that could disproportionately strike residents of long-term care facilities or health care workers.

Two weeks ago, Maine CDC Director Dr. Shah reported 17 people from outside Maine but who were diagnosed with the new virus while in Maine. There are also 13 Maine residents who were diagnosed outside the state.

Shah has repeatedly recommended people to live their lives as though COVID-19 was in their community by adhering to physical distancing and washing hands.

Of the people who have tested positive as of Wednesday, the most has been for people in their 50s which accounted for 177 of the confirmed cases since the outbreak started. There have been 155 people in their 60s, 131 in their 70s, 120 in their 40s, 119 who are 80 or older, 96 in their 30s, 90 in their 20s and 19 who are younger than 20.

If you appreciated reading this news story and want to support local journalism, consider subscribing today.
Call (207) 594-4401 or join online at waldo.villagesoup.com/join.
Donate directly to keeping quality journalism alive at waldo.villagesoup.com/donate.
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.