Jackson News

By Carolyn Zachary | Oct 17, 2016

By Beverly Ludden

Well it has been quite a week. I will start out with Saturday afternoon, my TV started acting out again. I guess there are no TV repairman around like there was years ago. I would have send it back through Best Buy, but it could take up to eight weeks, and it would be sent clear to Kentucky.

So I decided to shut the TV off and got my video camera out so I could take a few videos of my great-granddaughters on Sunday. I had to charge the battery, so I plugged in the charger and set the camera in the wastebasket beside my chair. Lisa came up later and noticed it in the trashcan and asked if it was broken. When I said no, she said that I had better get it out of the trashcan before it gets thrown away.


The day started out like usual. Lisa came up and went to the dump just before we were going to head up to AJ and Becca's for my birthday get-together. After she had headed to the dump, I remembered that I hadn't taken the camera out of the trash can by my chair. I kept trying to get a hold of her before she reached the dump. I couldn't get a hold of her. She finally called me back, and I told her about the camera. She and Chris headed back down to the transfer station to see if they could find it. Shortly after they left, Chris came in with the camera in his hand. Thank goodness they found it.

We then headed up to AJ and Becca's for a late lunch of lasagna, salad and garlic bread with desserts of coconut cream pie, apple whoopie pies and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. What a wonderful time with my family, including Polly and Debbie Wilcox.


Monday was uneventful; no much going at all. Tuesday I went down to the luncheon at the Varney Building — it is always such a wonderful meal and nice to see everyone.


Oct. 12 is my birthday, and usually I don't really care too much about my birthday. This year was completely different, as my fourth great-granddaughter was going to be born. Brandi's doctor in Seattle normally does her C-sections on Tuesdays, but Brandi was able to talk her into it (I guess it may have helped a little bit when Brandi told her that it was my 82nd birthday). Thank you so much Brandi, you are something else; love you, and I can't wait to meet her!

My day started out around 10 a.m. by Lisa and I heading to Ralph's Café to have breakfast. We were there for a couple of hours. Millie and Linda came in and had coffee, as well as Joanne, which was perfect so we could talk about our great-granddaughter that was being born later that day. What a nice morning we all had talking and reminiscing about the old days and the new ones to come.

After Lisa and I left there, we headed to Carmel to the monument place on Route 69. What a place! They had every possible statue that you could imagine. Their prices were reasonable, too.

When we left there, we headed to the Seafood Galley in Carmel, on the corner of Route 69 and Route 2. We got takeout dinners and desserts for our supper. We also picked up a piece of strawberry cheesecake for Debbie.

We then took off from there and went to find Etna's town office. We saw a lot of pretty leaves and places. After leaving there, we headed toward home, stopped at Mainely Apples in Dixmont. We arrived back home at about 4 p.m. What a nice day we had.

At about 5:30 p.m. Lisa saw the Facebook post that my beautiful great-granddaughter was born. This was the best birthday ever. Lisa got a few pictures on her phone and was able to print them out. This modern stuff is something. She brought me up a couple pictures and also had a couple for Joanne Wilcox (Brandi's other Gram). Lisa and I skipped the pictures down to Joanne so she would have them to show folks and see her for herself. She was some excited.

We are all so happy for Brandi and Dave. They named the baby Scout Anne Dyer. Her first name is from the book "To Kill a Mocking Bird" and her middle name is from my and Joanne's middle names, mine without and hers with an "e."

Lisa also brought me a beautiful picture of the three of them on their way home from the hospital. What a happy family. Scout, you are one lucky little girl. Between Brandi and Dave, they received over 400 Facebook messages with words of congratulations. I can't wait to hold her.

Thank you to everyone who wished me happy birthday in person or by telephone or by a birthday card. I received phone calls from Jackson, Kentucky, Seattle and Dixfield.

On Lisa's Facebook page, she posted a wonderful Facebook "Happy Birthday" to me. She told me there were 60 or so comments and over 100 “likes.” There were people on there that I hadn't heard from in years. It means so much! Thank you again!

Sorry I went on and on about my birthday, but I wanted to share just how lucky I am.


I can't believe it's that time of year already. The temperature is getting colder. The leaves are so pretty right now. The other day I was headed to get my hair cut at Sam's. As I started down to Evan's Corner, to the left it was so colorful and beautiful. They have been saying on the TV that this is one of the most colorful years even though it has been so dry.

They are even skating in Rockefeller Center.

Get Well Wishes

I want to send get well wishes out to Irene Tibbetts, who had a horseback riding accident, as did Pat Lamperta. Irene is now home from the hospital. Also a get well wish to Steve Littlefield, who had a bad fall while working at the Brooks Historical Society. Every day on the scanner I here so many calls where people have fallen.

Welcome home to Doris Dodge; she has been at Harbor Hill for quite some time this summer.


Lisa and I went to Knox for a pig/chicken roast to benefit the youth football teams.

Knox Grange had a grange supper, and I was told that it was super, as always.

There was a great turnout for the opening night at Marsh River Theater to benefit the Lafayette Family Cancer Center in Brewer to honor Tanya Hubbard and Kathleen Schiessl. All of the proceeds and donations will go toward the memorial fund. Lisa and Allyn attended. There are two more showings on Friday and Saturday this week.

This coming Sunday, Oct. 23, there will Basket Beano at the Brooks Grange on Moosehead Trail. The doors open at 11 a.m. and beano starts at 1. Don't forget a jacket or sweater.

Please give me a call with any news that you wish to share: 722-3450.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.