Monroe contractor found guilty of theft

By Fran Gonzalez | Feb 20, 2020
Courtesy of: Maine State Police Maine State Police Detectives arrest David Webber, 50, of Monroe Oct. 25, 2018. They charged him with theft by deception.

Belfast — A contractor accused of bilking a homeowner for work never completed was found guilty Thursday at the Waldo Judicial Center.

David Webber, 50, of Monroe, was found guilty of theft by deception concerning plumbing, electrical, heating and well-drilling work he claimed to have completed on two homes owned by Thomas Watson III.

Dual CBS/CW-affilate WABI Channel 5, based in Bangor, reported that Assistant Attorney General Leanne Robbin said in court that Webber took advantage of the homeowner for almost a year, even moving into one of the homes Watson owned.

According to previous reports, Webber claimed to have done $170,000 worth of work between August 2017 and October 2018. Webber is the owner of D&M Services, a heating and cooling company in Monroe, but according to police, he holds no Maine state license.

On Oct. 22, 2018, Maine State Police, along with multiple state inspectors from the Office of Professional and Financial Regulation, conducted a search of the two houses and determined that most of the claimed work was never done.

The Bangor Daily News previously reported that Webber had an active warrant for his arrest from Virginia for a similar reason, a 2009 charge of larceny for failure to perform construction.

In closing arguments, Webber’s attorney, Thomas Sheehan, questioned why Watson would continue to employ Webber if he were not happy with the work.

Robbin said the question was not “whether Tom Watson was naive,” but rather, whether “David Webber defrauded and used misrepresentation to extract money from the victim.”

Twelve jurors, eight men and four women, deliberated about an hour before delivering a guilty verdict.

In a victim impact statement, Watson said he suffered from poor health during the time that Webber was taking money from him. Fatigue, acid reflux, asthma and several bouts of gout interfered with his sleep. Watson said he was also taking medication for high blood pressure and felt “stress in general dealing with things I’m not used to and trying to plan ahead.”

Watson said felt the court should impose a sentence that would prevent Webber from doing this to other people.

Sheehan requested a continuance for sentencing until Friday, Feb. 28, so several people could speak on Webber’s behalf. Robbin initially objected, saying she was concerned about Webber continuing to work as an unlicensed electrician or plumber, but later agreed to the delay.

Justice Robert Murray set as conditions of Webber's bail that he is not to do any contracting of electrical, plumbing or HVAC services. He is also to have no contact with Watson at his home or work, and he is not to leave the state.

A sentencing hearing was set for Friday, Feb. 28 at 1:30 p.m. at the Waldo Judicial Center.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.