High school boys soccer

Mustangs punch ticket to Class C North championship game

Elijah Allen, Russell tally goals for Mount View, Furrow adds assist
By Mark Haskell | Nov 02, 2019

Hampden — Bone-chilling temperatures and swirling winds be damned, the No. 3 Mount View boys soccer team was not to be denied in its Class C North semifinal playoff clash with upset-minded No. 7 Fort Kent on Friday, Nov. 1 at Hampden Academy.

The Mustangs, in their first season in Class C North, braved the elements and pumped in a pair of first-half scores — while their defense stood tall throughout the 80-minute affair — and galloped past the Warriors with a 2-0 high school pitch victory on the artificial turf field.

With the win, Mount View (14-2) advances to the regional championship, where it will play No. 4 George Stevens Academy of Blue Hill (11-2-3), after a 7-0 victory over No. 1 Sumner (14-1-1) in the semifinals, on Tuesday, Nov. 5 at 5 p.m. at Hampden Academy (the previous venue was Gehrig T. Johnson Field at Presque Isle Middle School, which has been changed).

Fort Kent, which defeated No. 10 Calais and upset No. 2 Orono 5-2 in the quarterfinals, saw its season wrap at 9-7-1.

Mount View also beat No. 6 Central 5-2 in the quarterfinals, but does not play Fort Kent, GSA, Central or Sumner in the regular season.

Friday's game was held at Hampden Academy after the field at Mount View High School was deemed unplayable following recent heavy rain.

“I think we came out on a nice, clean surface and defended well right from the get-go,” said first-year Mustang coach Jeremy Von Oesen. “And we knocked the ball around pretty well too. We supported it, we played a lot of short, one-two touch passing and really controlled most of the play.”

Von Oesen said his team’s marking also was on point as well as Fort Kent was unable to generate many quality chances. Most were from long distance, or crosses to marked forwards, who were unable to get between the Mount View defense and Nelson.

“We defended well and played as a full group today,” he said.

Both Mustang tallies came in the first half as Elijah Allen put the higher seed on the board with 24:15 left, while Tyler Russell scored, off an assist from Draedyn Furrow, with 15:38 remaining.

Allen put Mount View on the board from about 20 yards, while Russell’s goal came off a rebound.

“Draedyn, who’s been dropping back and playing more defense actually got forward on a possession,” said Von Oesen. “Played a ball across to Tyler who had a nice shot and the goalie made a great save, but he followed up, got his own rebound and put it in.”

“I think they came out a little bit flat,” said Von Oesen of the Warriors. “That’s why we were able to get those two goals early. They played a tough schedule. They played Caribou this year, Presque Isle and a real tough Central Aroostook team who’s one of the top teams in Class D. They were prepared for today and they were prepared for Orono. I didn’t want to play them in the first round to be quite honest.”

Now, the Mustangs sit back and await the winner of Saturday’s semifinal between the Tigers and Eagles. Mount View played neither team this season.

Ricky Nelson made seven saves on 13 shots in net for Mount View, while Ethan Bouley made six saves on 11 shots for Fort Kent.

Courier Publications' sports staff can be reached by email at sports@villagesoup.com or by phone at 594-4401.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.