Nine towns battle Knox blaze that destroys home

By Ben Holbrook | Dec 09, 2013
Photo by: Ben Holbrook

Knox — Fire crews from nine towns responded to a structure fire in Knox Monday, Dec. 9.

The fire was reported around 10:30 a.m. at a residence at 108 Aborn Hill Road. Knox Fire Chief Matt Shaw said the fire started behind a chimney in the residence and was called in by the homeowner.

Shaw, who was the first person on the scene, said he attempted to extinguish the fire, but due to the number of closets and other small spaces in the home, it was difficult to battle the blaze.

Further compounding firefighter's attempts to put out the flames was the fact that Aborn Hill is subject to high winds, which fanned the flames. As well, low temperatures caused some of the air packs used by firefighters to freeze up, Shaw said.

Shaw said crews from Brooks, Freedom, Liberty, Montville, Morill, Prospect, Thorndike, Troy and Unity responded to battle the blaze.

The home was a total loss, Shaw said.

The homeowner was able to get out of the residence safely and Shaw said there were no injuries as a result of the fire.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.