Oven fire sparks building evacuation

By Ben Holbrook | Oct 17, 2016

Searsport — Searsport Fire Department minimized damage to an apartment complex on Prospect Street the afternoon of Sunday, Oct. 16, when a fire broke out in an oven.

Searsport Fire Chief Andy Webster said his department responded to 8 Prospect St., Seabreeze Apartments, at 3:30 p.m. for a reported oven fire. The blaze was extinguished with a fire extinguisher, Webster said, and the building sustained only minor damage.

Tenants were evacuated as a precaution, Webster said, while firefighters were on scene.

The fire started when a tenant turned on her oven, forgetting she stored several plastic dishes in the appliance. Those dishes melted, Webster said, igniting the fire.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Webster said most of the tenants were able to return to their apartments that day. American Red Cross is assisting the tenant whose oven caught fire.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.