Police: Knox man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning

Dec 24, 2013
Source: File Image

Knox — A Knox man who was found deceased in his garage was believed to have been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes the morning of Tuesday, Dec. 24, state police said.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Timothy Woods, 50, of Knox, had entered a detached garage on his property to refill a generator with gasoline. The generator had been operating since early in the morning and the garage doors were closed, McCausland said.

Family members discovered Woods’ body in the garage about 15 minutes later.

The death was reported at 5:30 a.m. It is the first suspected carbon monoxide death in Maine due to the ice storm, McCausland said.

The Maine Emergency Management Agency reminds residents to place generators outdoors in the fresh air; and to make plans to keep the generator dry and protected from ice and snow so that you are not tempted to bring it inside an enclosed area.

Generators should be placed at least 15 feet away from the home, windows or doors; and to ensure the generator is not in an enclosed or semi enclosed space, such as a basement, cellar or bulkhead.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.