Police: Low-speed chase lands Searsport man in jail

By Tanya Mitchell | Dec 12, 2012
Source: Waldo County Jail Brad Pomeroy

Searsport — A local man was arrested on several charges Sunday night, Dec. 9, after he led an officer on a brief pursuit, got his vehicle stuck and retreated into the nearby woods, police say.

Brad Pomeroy, 31, of Searsport was arrested on a probation hold and was also charged with operating under the influence, eluding a police officer, failure to stop for an officer and driving to endanger after a series of events that reportedly began on Back Searsport Road.

Searsport Police Chief Dick LaHaye said Officer Merl Reed was on duty Sunday night and was patrolling in the area of Back Searsport Road when he "observed and heard" a truck drive past him. Because of the noise coming from the vehicle, Reed went to execute a traffic stop.

LaHaye said the pickup truck continued on, turning first onto Brock Road and then onto Old County Road. The driver of the truck — who was later identified as Pomeroy — accelerated and continued until he reached the intersection of Old County and Mount Ephraim roads.

At that time, LaHaye said, Pomeroy stopped briefly.

"A person in the front passenger seat bailed out of the truck and headed back down the road toward town," said LaHaye, who added that police have yet to identify that individual. "...That is yet to be determined."

The truck continued up Mount Ephraim Road again, LaHaye said, and reached speeds of up to 70 mph before turning onto Savery Road and then onto a dirt road off Black Road North. The pursuit continued for a short distance, said LaHaye, but then Pomeroy's ride came to an abrupt end.

"The vehicle ended up getting stuck, and [Pomeroy] bailed out of the vehicle and into the woods," said LaHaye.

Police approached the truck and encountered another passenger, who was not charged in connection with the incident.

Reed called on Maine State Police Trooper Corey Smith and his K-9 to assist with tracking Pomeroy down, and LaHaye said Pomeroy was located in the woods a short time after the K-9 arrived on scene.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.