UPDATED

Power restored after car crash knocks out service to 3,000 customers

Feb 01, 2019

Power was restored in Waldo County roughly six hours after a car crash in Prospect early Friday afternoon caused more than 3,000 outages in six towns.

In an email message at 6:48 p.m. Feb. 1, Emergency Management Agency Director Dale Rowley announced that Central Maine Power had completed all repairs to the powerline damage on Fort Knox Road, and warming centers opened earlier in the day were shutting down.

"Prospect Fire Department and Central Maine crews are going home to get warm," Rowley said in his email announcement.

Waldo County EMA had opened several warming shelters for those impacted by the widespread power outage Friday afternoon in the towns of Frankfort, Monroe, Prospect, Searsport, Stockton Springs and Winterport.

The outage reportedly was caused by a car crash near the Fort Knox Road transformer station in Prospect, which is owned by Central Maine Power Co. Fort Knox Road was reduced to one lane of traffic as repairs commenced.

Waldo County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Jason Trundy said 18-year-old Andrew Haining of Palmyra went off the road into a pair of utility poles. Haining, who was alone in the car, told police he was blinded by the sun while rounding a curve. He was uninjured, Trundy said.

Warming shelters were opened at Prospect Community Center, Winterport Town Office, Stockton Springs Town Office and Frankfort Congregational Church.

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.