Updated

Troy fire chief spots blaze

Third time at same residence
Mar 13, 2019
Photo by: Fran Gonzalez Firefighters can be seen in the rear of the residence on Alley Lane in Troy where a fire gutted the inside of the double-wide mobile home March 13.

Troy — The quick actions of a fire chief driving back from Bangor today prevented a mobile home from "burning to ground."

Troy Fire Department Chief Daniel Nealley noticed smoke "out back" of a double-wide mobile home on Alley Lane as he drove on Bangor Road (Route 9) in Troy. He called in the fire around 12:43 p.m. and alerted mutual aid.

Neally said he is familiar with the residence, having been to two other previous fires there, one of which destroyed a home.

The homeowner, Tammy Knowlton, was not home at the time of the fire.

"It's gutted inside," Neally said. "We stopped it from burning to the ground." He added that there was "quite a lot of water damage" inside.

Burnham, Unity, Thorndike, Dixmont and Unity Ambulance answered the call. Freedom and Albion were on standby.

As of Friday, March 15, Maine State Fire Marshal Joe Davis said the fire was still under investigation.

"We have a few more interviews to go," Davis said, and mentioned bringing in outside experts to look at the electrical system of the house.

When asked about the two other fires at the same location Davis said, they treat everything as accidental unless "proven otherwise."

This story will be updated as information becomes available.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.