Two weeks in jail for man guilty of soliciting boys

By Fran Gonzalez | Aug 07, 2019
Edmond Melanson

Belfast — A Montville man accused of propositioning two young boys in a Belfast City Park has been sentenced to five months in jail with all but two weeks suspended.

Judge Robert E. Murray handed down the sentence at the Waldo Judicial Center on July 26, with the stipulation that 76-year-old Edmond Melanson not have contact with anyone under the age of 18, male or female, unless supervised.

He is also not to have direct or indirect contact with the two boys or their families.

Police said Melanson on March 29, 2018, approached the boys at the park and offered to perform sexual acts on them.

The boys ran away and told a man and woman, who were walking, what had happened. Police released a description of the ponytailed man based on interviews with the couple and the boys.

Belfast Police said in their report neither of the boys hesitated when identifying Melanson from a photo lineup.

On June 26, a jury convicted Melanson of solicitation of a child (Class D).

In a mitigating letter to the court, Melanson's attorney stated the 76-year-old had no criminal or motor vehicle record until the incident and has lived a "100% law-abiding life."

Melanson's attorney also stated in the letter that his client previously worked for the Maine State Police in a technical role for 16 years, as well as four years for the Maine Department of Transportation.

A 1989 certificate for "outstanding contribution and effort" from the Maine State Police to Melanson was also included with the letter.

After completing two weeks in jail, Melanson will be on probation for one year and be subject to evaluation, counseling and treatment as a sexual offender.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Eric Schrader | Aug 08, 2019 09:12

Please don't show this lowlifes face for the next month! One day is enough. Put him in general population.



If you wish to comment, please login.