Used car sale ends with alleged break-in, assault

Victim suffers head wound in reported attack
By Tanya Mitchell | Jul 27, 2012
Source: Waldo County Jail Matteo Adragna

Winterport — Police say a private used car sale was the catalyst for an assault that sent a woman, one of two alleged assailants, to the hospital and left the alleged victim with a gash on his forehead Monday, July 23.

Police arrested Matteo Adragna, 53, of Belfast on a charge of aggravated assault following an incident that allegedly occurred at the victim's residence on Main Street in Winterport Monday at about 11:30 a.m.

Tuesday morning, July 24, police additionally summoned 58-year-old Debora Degiovanni of Belfast on charges of burglary, assault and criminal mischief.

Waldo County Chief Deputy Jeff Trafton said Adragna and Degiovanni had recently purchased a vehicle from a Winterport man and were apparently displeased with the deal.

"Apparently, they weren't getting the title [for the vehicle] quick enough," said Trafton.

Trafton said Adragna and Degiovanni went to the man's Winterport home and "broke down the door to get in."

Trafton said the alleged victim emerged from his bedroom to see what was going on, only to find Adragna and Degiovanni in his house, after which an altercation ensued between Adragna and the homeowner. Trafton said the alleged victim told police Adragna and Degiovanni came into his home armed with a box cutter, which the responding officers later located in Adragna's vehicle.

As Adragna and the alleged victim were fighting, Degiovanni reportedly jumped on the homeowner's back in an apparent attempt to pull him away from Adragna, but the homeowner pushed Degiovanni off and Degiovanni ended up falling down the stairs.

Trafton said Degiovanni was transported to an area hospital to be treated for minor injuries she sustained as a result of the fall, but she has since returned home.

After Degiovanni's fall, the two men continued fighting and eventually, Trafton said, Adragna located the cover to a metal pot and struck the alleged victim in the head.

"He cracked the guy's head open," said Trafton, who added that the alleged victim refused any medical treatment at the scene.

Deputy Darren Moody, who was the responding officer, arrested Adragna immediately because he was on probation. Monday, Moody said Adragna could be facing additional charges in connection with the matter, which remains under investigation.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.