Sign In:

Home » Place » Community Happenings » Page 3

Community Happenings
  • Published
    January 21, 2022

Waldo news

Over the past month or so I have been thinking about the condition of some of our roads and wondering if it's time to adapt our road maintenance practices. Decades ago, and much before that, our seasons were fairly predictable: cold snowy winters, slow springs, warm summers with just enough rain, and cool falls with a dry period and a wet period. Like most places in the world though, our weather and seasons are changing in response to our warming planet.

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Montville & Liberty news

The area that is now the towns of Montville and Liberty was founded as Davistown Plantation. Its history began around 1630 when Brig. Gen. Samuel Waldo obtained a patent for the Waldo County area, which contained the region that would later become Davistown Plantation.

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Jackson news

How terrible to see the flames take away the Amish Community Market in Unity. A regular stop for us to find treasures of all kinds, from birdhouses to belts — in addition to doughnut day! I truly hope that our whole community can come together to help them find a way forward to rebuild. 

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Stockton Springs news

In 2011, while at the Sandy Point Community Center’s summer yard sale, my family and I went next door to the brick house, which was having an estate sale. I ended up buying an old photo album from 1896 with photos of various Maine locations. By each photo in beautiful script was the detail of where the photo was taken. Some were from Poland Springs and others were from Baxter State Park.

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Morrill news

Happy birthday to Lee Mitchell on Jan. 31. Wishing you a great day! Deepest sympathy to the family of Fred Jackson who passed away. He was a great guy. He had just lost his brother Arthur Jackson. 

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Monroe news

Our Nolan celebrates turning a whooping 4 months old as I sit here and write this column, and amidst the music playing from his swing, I smile and often laugh out loud as I listen to him blow loud, wet raspberries intermittently between his cooing and chatter.

• Published
    January 21, 2022

MOFGA unveils 2022 Common Ground Country Fair poster

Planning is underway for the event Sept. 23-25, with vendor applications being accepted for many areas of the fair now.

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Freedom news

I was so sorry to hear of Steve Shaw’s passing. I believe his obituary is running online now and will appear in the Jan. 27 issue of The Republican Journal. He certainly was a presence in his community. Many knew him from his Mount View High School association. He was a football coach — instrumental in helping that program get off the ground — and was omnipresent around school in a variety of capacities. Outside school, he and Bonnie were good family friends, as well. 

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Searsmont news

Searsmont escaped the worst of the mid-January storm, but the short thaw and rain, followed by another cold snap, brought us an icy winter challenge. For days the slick surface has made even short walks with poles and grippers an adventure each time, and the glare off driveway ruts hurts your eyes. There was a run on melting crystals and it looks like Jack Frost is going to be with us for a while.

• Published
    January 21, 2022

Zoom talk Jan. 25 focuses on carbon management in farms, forests

The first program, Tuesday, Jan. 25, 6:30 p.m., is a Zoom talk by Dr. Ivan Fernandez of the Climate Change Institute at the University of Maine. To register for the Zoom link, go to https://belfastlibrary.org/virtual-programs/.

• Offers
  • Briefs

close x